Thursday, September 17, 2009

Finding my final lifestyle...

After spending years trying on different lifestyles, I have finally found the ideal one here at Pigs Fly Ranch in North Texas. I have been a career woman, a drug store cowboy's wife, an executive's spouse, a social butterfly, a Californian (oh...please...stop), a hostess/party-goer and now a writer/horsewoman/goat owner. This last role is the best.

Here on 4.5 acres of red clay, I enjoy the company of nine pygmy goats, two adorable dogs and a pair of badly behaved cats, plus one husband who is slowly getting used to walking where there is no concrete. I have become a Master Gardener with various raised beds and a beekeeper with two buzzing hives. The Spouse has discovered an interest in native plants, drought-resistant grasses and rain water harvesting. We probably bore some of our friends, but we are more in touch with the environment and with ourselves.

A lot of people dream of escaping the city for the country life, but today’s economy is not making that transition easy. I have carried the country dream with me for decades and only made it a reality in 2007. My advice: hang in there. You can make it happen. And it will be worth the wait.

1 comment:

  1. Pat, I think you might find a kindred spirit in Susan Wittig Albert. Check out her book, "Together, Alone", filled with meditations on knowing our PLACE (and it's inhabitants) well enough to call it HOME......... In the final chapter she quotes Wendell Berry, an author, as follows --- "One who returns HOME - to one's marriage and household and PLACE in the world - desiring anew what was previously chosen, is neither the world's stranger nor its prisoner, but is at once IN PLACE and FREE.

    THANK YOU FOR STARTING THIS BLOG. Your insights are STUNNING. Doesn't hurt that you are a talented writer, either. I will follow it avidly. ~Marty

    ReplyDelete